Saturday, November 1, 2008

twitter.com/kimchiquita

Twitter is a very interesting tool. I have yet to come to terms with my feelings for it. I don't understand still why there is an importance for it especially since, as of right now, it doesn't seem as popular, or could be as popular, as something like a Facebook.

I read the news article about James Buck being arrested and how the public became informed about his situation by his use of Twitter:

On his way to the police station, Buck took out his cell phone and sent a
message to his friends and contacts using the micro-blogging site Twitter.

Honestly, I'm really happy for James Buck but if I had texted my twitter with any sort of update on my status of well-being I doubt anyone who actually knew or cared about me would see it. It just seems like a one and a hundred chance that someone I care about would be constantly checking Twitter.

On the other hand, I can understand why people would want to use Twitter for their own personal benefits. As stated in 25 Twitter Tips for College Students, I would definitely use Twitter to send me to do list updates or to use "tweet what you eat" -- it sounds so fun!

I made a Twitter and so has my roommate...check ours out and maybe one day you can save me when I've been arrested in a foreign land.

3 comments:

Julie said...

Hi Kim!

I have a quick question for you about Twitter..or more than one... :)
Are you addicted yet? Don't you mind that people can actually see everything you want your friends to see about you? I am always very skeptical about this kind of tool, but... What has Twitter done for you so far?
Also, I agree with you about the fact that it is really unlikely that the people who care about me know when I want to warn them about something via Twitter. First of all, because I never heard about it in France. Second, because my closest friends would probably never use it. Third, let's not even mention my family...!

Redgrape said...

I really like the point about the flaws in the "Use twitter to get out of jail" argument. Just because your on twitter doesn't mean that people follow your micro-blog.
Also, checked out your twitter and I find it interesting that people working for TIME or cnnireport are responding. Maybe they just mass comment on as many twitter people as possible to get more followers themselves?

IgnacioQuevedo said...

I agree that the case of getting out of jail happens very rarely. I think that the most important point about Twitter is how connected you can become by microblogging.