Friday, October 10, 2008

Networking IRL

My dad made me start keeping an excel spreadsheet of all my contacts/business cards I've ever received since my senior year of highschool. It was probably one of the best things I've kept up with because now I have a lot of contacts stored in one place on my computer.

I've been to a bunch of networking events and just with the nature of internships I've had, I meet a lot of people in a lot of cool industrys. It is absolutely necessary to keep in touch with these people because obviously it's not what you know, but who you know. Especially networking for students...I've fine tuned my elavator speech and I even have my own business cards. They are pretty snazzy.

Did you know that through the career center here at AU you can go on trips to NYC to meet with AU Alumni in high level positions in different communications/marketing fields? It's a really great opportunity and you should look into it!

It's never a bad idea to put yourself out there and grab any opportunities that come your way!

4 comments:

Song said...

Thank you for useful information. :) I think it is really important to manage known people in the business.

+ it is really good idea that keeping an excel spreadsheet or all business card ! In the future i will using that way of managing my business people. :)

IgnacioQuevedo said...

That's a good idea to keep business cards and upload them onto an excel sheet. I always tend to misplace business cards. Thus, it's important when you need these contacts you'll be able to find their business cards. The career center is a great idea. It's amazing how we forget about all the opportunities out there.

onyee4ejimuda said...

The uploading of contacts in an excel spreadsheet is a wonderful idea.How come i didn't think of it? Although I have that in another format. Anyway, that is a very positive way to go. You do not have anything to lose. Instead, you have gained prospective connections in the future. The career center at AU is also doing a great job.You never know when all this information would come in handy.

Eunbi said...

I have to visit AU career center right now. Thank you for great information.
I think I still don't know the importance of connecting with business people, because I don't have many experiences in business.
But I think I have to start managing my business networking..